Toilet Overflow Bacteria & How To Prevent Them In Your Toilet

A toilet is such a place that we use it many times a day. Careless use of the toilet and flushing the wrong things in it cause toilet overflow. Which is something that nobody wants to happen to their toilet. 

Toilet overflow is a most common problem that every household faces once every 2 to 3 months. We all know that a toilet is a home to germs, and toilet overflow carries lots of harmful bacteria into your bathroom, which can cause severe health diseases to you and your family.

In this article, we are going to discuss the types of toilet overflow bacteria and some pro tips on how to clean and sanitize your toilet to make it germ and bacteria-free, so that you can use it in the same way as it was before the overflow.

So without further ado.

Let’s start with a very useful article…

Toilet Overflow Bacteria [How To Get Rid Of Them]

As earlier stated that your toilet is already infected with lots of harmful bacteria, and the problem becomes a nightmare if your toilet overflows due to blockage in the severe system. 

According to the research, human feces contain 25 to 54% of bacterial biomass

List Of Some Harmful Bacteria Due To Toilet Overflow

Here, I’ve listed some very harmful bacteria which enter your bathroom due to toilet overflow:

  • Genus Leptospira
  • Clostridium Tetani
  • Escherichia coli (E Coli)
  • Campylobacter
  • Enterococcus
  • Salmonella
  • Shigella
  • Staphylococcus
  • Streptococcus
  • Yersinia bacteria

How To Prevent Those Germs And Bacteria After Toilet Overflow

You can take some necessary precautions after the toilet overflows in your bathroom if it is difficult to contact a professional in your area.

Step 1: Unclog A Clog Toilet

Unclog a clogged toilet to stop overflowing. You can go through our detailed article for this. I’ve mentioned step by step guide to unclogging a clogged toilet with poop using household elements. 

Step 2: Collect Waste & Contaminated Water

The second step is to clean all the waste coming out due to the toilet overflowing and keep them in a bucket lined with a plastic sheet.

Step 3: Sanitize Bleach In Your Bathroom

After cleaning your toilet thoroughly using a mob, vacuum, rag, etc, it’s time to disinfect them from harmful bacteria by using bleach. 

Also Read: How To Sanitize After Toilet Overflows[A Complete Guide]

Make a solution of one cup of bleach and mix it with one gallon of hot water and sanitize this solution on the toilet bowl, floor, carpet, wall, and the places that you think come in contact with contaminated severe water. 

Step 4: Take Professional Help

By following all the above steps carefully, you have done 80% work yourself. After cleaning the toilet thoroughly, there is a possibility that some stubborn harmful bacteria and germs can survive. Taking professional help would be beneficial in the end. An expert will take care of the rest of the 20% cleaning work of your toilet and make it 100% germ and bacteria-free.

Also Read: 4 Easy Ways To Prevent Toilet Water From Splashing Up


You have to take proper steps to clean and sanitize your toilet after overflow. The above-mentioned steps can help you to clean your toilet so that you and your family can use it again without fear.

Bleach is a natural substance that can kill the most harmful bacteria and germs in your toilet and also make your toilet free from the repugnant smell as well. 

Although these steps are helpful to minimize the harmful effects of a toilet overflow, you need to contact professionals because they take some extra steps to ensure complete hygiene in your toilet.  

About The Author


Adam is here, I'm an Editor and writer on guidingpapa. I love to share home improvement tips and new ideas in this blog. I have been doing this from couple of years and I'm very passionate about it.

Leave a Comment