Sheds are very important for a homeowner because they can be used for many purposes. For instance, you can use it for garden storage, as an extra living space, or even as an office. A shed is also good for protecting your valuable belongings from harsh weather conditions.
The next very important thing to consider is:
1. Where can I put my shed?
2. Can I put it right next to my house or in front of my house?
If you want to put a shed right next to your house then you’ve to figure out these important things, otherwise, you would be in trouble:
- How far or close you can put your shed to your house?
- In which conditions you don’t need a permit.
- In which conditions a permit is mandatory.
Let’s understand above mention crucial information one by one.
Table of Contents
You Don’t Need A Permit For Shed Construction Next To Your House If
According to Seattle (a government authority site), You can put a shed right next to your house and you don’t need to take a permit for shed construction right next to your house if…
- The total area of your shed roof is 120 square feet or less.
- If your shed has no second floor.
- If you are going to use a simple concrete slab, pier blocks, or soil base for the shed foundation.
- If the shed is not very close to your house or other building.
- If the area where you want to install a shed is not in or near a steep slope, wetland, or an area that often faces flood.
- If you are going to use your shed only for your garden, home repair tools storage, for your gardening purpose.
You Must Take Permit For Shed Construction Next To Your Home If
- If your house is nearby an Environment critical area such as a wetland, landslide-prone area, peat settlement-prone area, etc.
- If the size of the shed is bigger than 750 square feet.
- If the size of the beam of your shed is more than 14 feet.
Note: The shed installation guidelines and rules may vary as per different countries and locations. Make sure you have the right information related to shedding installation in your country.
How Far Or Close You Can Put Shed Next To Your House
According to Seattle (A Government Official Site), ” Your must take this into consideration that you are not allowed to put a shed within the 20 feet of the front of your house.
If you want to put a shed at the side of your house then keep it at least 5 feet away from your house sides in North America.
Can I Put My Shed At Home Backyard
Yes, you are allowed to put your shed in your home backyard but keep in mind that it must be installed at least 20 feet distance (For the rear backyard).
Whether you want to put your shed in the front or next to your house, you must have the right and authentic information about the dos and don’t of your area.
For some situations, you have to take a permit for shed installation, and for others don’t. You must also be aware of how far or close you are allowed to put the shed next to your house.
I’ve tried to cover authentic and helpful information in this article related to shed installation. I hope this article will be beneficial to you.
Q.1 What to Do If You Have to Put A Shed Right Next to Your House?
Ans: First, you have to ensure the zoning laws of your location and check out the size of the shed, foundation material, and other mentioned things to know when and why you need to take a permit for shed installation.
Q2. How Close To A House Can A Shed Be?
Ans: In North America resign you are allowed to put a shed 20 feet farther from your house and 5 feet away from the sides of your house as per mentioned by Seattle.