The closet door is one of the most used doors at home, it often gets jammed or stuck and won’t open. If you face this issue most frequently then I know how annoying this is. This can happen due to several reasons such as wet weather, hot weather, dust & debris, create a thin gap between the two doors, etc.
This type of problem faces in summer because due to hot weather the wood swells a little bit and causes the door of your closet to become stuck. Sometimes loose hinges cause this issue.
Identify The Problem In Your Closet Door
This is a very important step. You have to first identify that where is the problem.
For this, you have to examine your closet door thoroughly. Look at the latches, patches, doorknob, and gap of all the sides of your closet door to figure out any damage to the frame and closet door.
Examine carefully the gap between the latches, and between the doors, If the gap is normal or thin in a particular area. You can do this by using a credit or debit card and move it around the gap. This will help to identify those areas that can’t be visible normally and make your closet door stuck.
What you can do to open a stuck closet door at the very first stage…
- Jiggling the door.
- Moving the door knob.
- Use some plastic card(debit card) to try to open it.
These are very common steps that may works if your closet door is stuck loosely. But if it is stuck firmly then you need to take some extra steps to fix your closet door.
3 Easy Steps To Fix Closet Door That Is Stuck
1. If Problem in Your Closet Door Knob
If you are facing that your door knob is not moving properly so here are the chances that your doorknob is jammed. Here don’t be so aggressive, keep calm, and don’t try to move the doorknob forcefully otherwise the little problem will become bigger and could cost you much higher than earlier.
Sometimes this type of problem occurs when the internal parts of the knob have rusted. You can fix this issue by oiling the internal parts of the doorknob.
2. If Problem in Hinge of Your Closet Door
If you notice squeaking sounds coming from hinges, it means the problem is in this area. You can fix this issue by oiling the hinges properly.
3. Problem Due To Thin Gap Between the doors
Things swell and shrink due to the temperature change. The same thing happened with wood. It swells in summer due to high temperature and gets shrike in winter.
so the question is…
How To Open A Stuck Wooden Closet Door?
You can solve this type of problem in few steps. Here, you need to do some DIY work that requires some tools such as
- You have to disassemble one door that create problem. You can figure out this door by examine its side that come together with other door when closed.
- Look at its side its paint peel off due to friction between the doors when they come together. It indicate that the door require some DIY work to fix this problem.
- Now look at the hinges. There are two hinges in a door. First is at the top and another at the bottam. The hinge is connected with the frame with the help of a small peice of metal.
- Remove the bottom metal connector first from the hinge, it require a hammer. Hit the hammer to the metal connector to remove it completly.
- Same way you have to remove the top hinge connector to remove the door.
- Now you have to slice its side by using a saw machine.
- After slicing you have to assemble the door again. Lets see if our problem is solved or not.
This method is very effective if your closet door is stuck due to a thin gap between the doors.
Other reasons of Stuck Your Closet Door And Won’t Open
Your closet door would be stuck due to wet spring weather conditions or having a wood frame. Wet weather makes metal parts jammed by corrosion. Wet things attract dust and debris that is easily filled inside the small gap and stuck the door.
Here in this article, I’ve tried to cover all the possible reasons that cause your closet door to be stuck and won’t open easily. Sometimes this type of problem is solved by following some easy steps but in some cases, it’s not possible to fix it by following easy steps.
But It can be solved by some wood DIY works. I hope this article really helps to solve your problem.