Nobody wants anyone to snoop in his bedroom because a bedroom is one of the most relaxing places in the home where you can enjoy your favorite pass time with your loved one.
This is rare if you live with your family but it is very important if you are in a hostel room or in a hotel room. For people who are living in a live-in relationship, privacy is the most important thing.
Preventing someone to unlock the bedroom door is a very crucial matter in the above-mentioned situation.
Here in this article, I’ve covered some inexpensive working practical tips that can sort out your problem regarding…
How To Prevent Someone From Unlocking Your Bedroom Door?
For Inward Opening Door
1. Use A Portable Door Lock To Prevent Someone From Unlocking Your Bedroom Door
This is one of the best temporary solutions for travelers who frequently visit one place to another and stay in a rental compartment or hotel.
As they don’t have permission to DIY the existing door mechanism in a hotel or a rental house, they can use a portable door lock to keep their bedroom more secure as in hotels the main entrance point of your room is of course your bedroom.
A portable door lock is a small locking device that can be installed and removed easily. The door lock is made of some metal parts that can fit on the bolt or latch of the doorknob of your door and prevent the door from opening.
Although this locking system is effective for a door that opens and closes from the inside but not effective when the door opens and closes outwardly.
You can buy such a portable locking system either from your local hardware shop or online.
2. Use A Small Wood Piece To Prevent The Bedroom Door From Opening
This is one of the easiest and quick solutions to prevent someone from suddenly opening your bedroom door. You can find this item in your garage or in your backyard.
Simply take a piece of wood and cut it in such a way that creates a thin slope at one end and the other end remains as thick as it prevents sliding the door when someone tries to push the door inside.
The other name of this small device is “doorstep”, which can easily slide between the floor and under the door.
This small wood piece is normally used to prevent the entrance door from closing but when this wood piece is placed behind the door which opens inward then its works to prevent the door from opening suddenly.
This is not a feasible solution when intruders try to open the door but as this is for your bedroom so this tiny device will definitely give some protection from unlocking your bedroom door when one of your family members tries to open it unintentionally most probably children.
3. Install A Door Reinforcement Lock In Your Bedroom Door
This is a small device that can be installed in a door that opens inward. You can install it in your bedroom door or any other inward-opening door to enhance the security of your bedroom door.
This would be the best solution for your door if you are not using any lock on your bedroom door.
Benefits of using a door reinforcement lock
- The reinforcement door lock is made of extruded aluminum with a satin nickel anodized finish that can tolerate up to 800 lbs of force.
- Tamper resistance and child-safe design ensure extra security for your bedroom door.
- Prevent the door sudden opening from intruders kicking in and from lock picking and bumping.
Installation of such a reinforcement locking system is easy and hardly takes a few minutes. Just drill 4 holes and mount the lock by using the hardened screw (Included inside the box).
This locking system is very effective when you share your room with your partner. If it is a woody door then it can handle 3 to 4 kicks off an intruder and for a steel bedroom door, its withstand capability is increased.
4. Use A Dowel Stick To Secure Your Bedroom Door
A dowel stick is something that height can be adjustable according to the height of the doorknob. This Dowel stick helps to prevent forced entry into your bedroom.
The stick is made of heavy-duty 20 gauge stainless steel that ensures the security of your privacy. Its portable and compact design is easy to carry and very easy to store.
How It Works
It has a pivoting ball joint that is fully in contact with the floor and provides a secure fitting and its foot has a padded grip that sticks tightly to the surface of the floor without stretching.
- It has a silver button simply press it to adjust the length of this bedroom door stopper. You need to fix its padded base 15 to 18 inches away from the base of the door.
- Now the yoke end of this dowel stick should be placed tightly against the underside of the doorknob.
- Now slide the padded part of this dowel stick toward the door until snug.
5. Install A Floor Barricade On Your Bedroom Door To Prevent It From Unlocking
A floor barricade (View On Amazon) could be a good option to prevent someone from unlocking your bedroom door. I found this is a more effective way to secure your privacy in your bedroom if you share your room with your partner or have some confidential things to secure them from intruders.
How It Works
The floor barricade has two parts:
The door barricade works by using the strength of the floor and this makes it super powerful to tolerate immense force. The installation process is very simple and within a few minutes of DYI work, you are able to lock your bedroom door from the inside.
This could be helpful if you are in an emergency situation.
For Outward Opening Door
If your bedroom door is open outward then you have to follow a different approach to prevent it from opening by someone who you don’t know.
1. Tie The Door Knob
The first and easiest way to prevent someone from opening your bedroom door is to tie your door knob with a rope, a belt, or with a cotton cloth.
Make sure you are tieing the other end of your rope, belt, or a cotton cloth with a nearby heavy object so that it would strongly prevent the opening of your bedroom door.
2. Use Long Wooden Stick
If your home has some pieces of wooden sticks then tie them together using a rope and try to secure them horizontally along with the doorknob by following all the way from left to right.
This will create a barrier for an intruder against opening your bedroom door. It will also give to more time to escape from that room in other ways.
3. Tie Something With Your Bedroom Door Top Hinge
This is also an easy step that you could perform using the objects that you already have. Just remove your belt and tie it around the top of your bedroom door hinge.
You can also use a rope to do the same.
4. Throw Heavy Objects In The Door Way
Look around your bedroom and collect some furniture, tables, Boxes, etc and put them on top of each other. Try to spread them on the doorway to that someone can not enter your bedroom easily.
Who Needs To Prevent Unlocking Their Bedroom Door From Someone?
There is plenty of reasons to keep your bedroom door safe either from other family members or from intruders.
- If you live in a big family then maintaining privacy is a difficult task, especially since children run anywhere within the home without any prior notice.
- People who have to leave home for several days due to profession. In that situation, your filled mailbox and parcels give a hint to intruders that there is no one in this house.
- People who don’t have dogs and security systems installed in their homes.
- Aged people are easy targets of burglars and intruders and without proper protection, in the entrance door and bedroom there is a high risk of important property documents or money could be stolen.
I hope this detailed guide will help you to secure your bedroom door from unexpected unlocking by someone. The above-mentioned detailed guide is also helpful to prevent burglary. According to the latest report published on thezebra website, ” In 2020 Mexico had the highest burglary rate in America “. If you are still confused that which method is based suit according to your situation then
sit back and keep reading …
If you want a better keyless solution to secure your bedroom door then you can use a door reinforcement locking system.
If you live with your partner and often stay out of the house and want to ensure that no one enters your house then you can install a door barricade at the door. This is a sturdy, durable and trustable solution to your problem.
You can also go with other working methods according to your need mentioned above.